South Dakota State University is an NCAA Division I institution which competes in The Summit League for all sports except football which competes in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, wrestling competes in the Big XII Conference and women’s equestrian in the National Collegiate Equestrian Association.
This full-time, 12-month position will serve as an Assistant Athletic Trainer who will primarily coordinate athletic training services for men’s basketball through the Stanley J. Marshall Center athletic training room. The scope of practice includes prevention, evaluation, management rehabilitation, referral, and administration so as to facilitate safe and expeditious return to activity for South Dakota State University student-athletes. SDSU actively seeks to increase social and intellectual diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
The Assistant Athletic Trainer will assist the Assistant AD – Sports Medicine and other sports medicine staff with administering athletic training services for 21 men’s and women’s intercollegiate sports teams. Duties include, but not limited to, work with and under the supervision of the medical director and team physicians; instruct in CAATE approved undergraduate and CAATE entry level athletic training programs as a preceptor; supervise undergraduate and graduate athletic training student-athletes; provide primary sport coverage for the men’s basketball team; evaluate and administer first aid to the injured student-athletes; coordinate referrals and maintain communication with athletic health care team and coaches; and administer therapeutic exercise and modalities under supervision of a physician.
• Earned Bachelor’s degree in Athletic Training, Athletic Administration, Sports Science or related field.
• Minimum one (1) year experience in athletic training.
• Minimum one (1) year experience supervising athletic training students.
• BOC certified/SD License or eligible.
• CPR and First Aid certified.
• Effective communication (oral, written and interpersonal) skills.
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
• Demonstrated computer application skills.
• Master’s degree in Athletic Training, Athletic Administration, Sport Science or related field.
• Division I intercollegiate experience, especially men’s basketball.
• Minimum one (1) year experience in athletic training in men’s basketball.
• Experience with team travel responsibilities.
• Knowledge and/or understanding of medical records following HIPAA, FERPA and SIMS.
• Knowledge and/or understanding of medical insurance.
Contingent upon education and experience.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to application materials received by submitted by May 12, 2016.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, resume, and reference page with contact information for three professional references. E-mail applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 or HR@sdstate.edu if you require assistance with this process.
SDSU is especially interested in candidate that can contribute to and/or coordinate offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
For questions on the position, contact Jeff Holm, Search Chair, at (605) 688-6287 or email at Jeff.Holm@sdstate.edu.
To apply for this job please visit yourfuture.sdbor.edu.