SDSU School of Design is offering an exciting career opportunity as an Associate Professor and Program Coordinator of Graphic Design. This is a 9 month/100% tenured position starting August 2016. SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations.
We are seeking an experienced graphic designer with university teaching experience who will provide leadership to the graphic design program. The successful candidate will teach courses in graphic design; oversee curriculum and accreditation; develop external grants related to graphic design; and remain active in design practice or scholarship.
- MFA in Graphic Design or closely related terminal degree;
- Three (3) years of graphic design practice with expertise in visual communication, typography, branding, or interactive design;
- Minimum of six (6) years of successful university experience teaching graphic design as demonstrated through tenure and student success;
- Evidence of external recognition of scholarship in graphic design creativity or scholarship at the national level;
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, plan, develop, implement, and direct effective design programs.
- Demonstrated use of technology in managing and/or delivering graphic design programs;
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work as a contributing team member within the School of Design;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Three (3) years of national level graphic design practice;
- Demonstrated leadership in graphic design curriculum and NASAD accreditation;
- Demonstrated collaboration in developing cross-disciplinary design programs;
- Demonstrated ability securing external funding and grants.
Commensurate with qualifications.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by April 28, 2016.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement; curriculum vitae; a reference page with the contact information for three professional references; and PDF portfolio of 20 creative works (attached as ‘other document’) or provide the URL link to your website to include access to creative work detailing student success. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 or HR@sdstate.edu if you require assistance with this process.
SDSU actively seeks to increase social and intellectual diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
For questions on the position, contact Mark Stemwedel, Search Chair, Mark.Stemwedel@sdstate.edu or 605-688-4103.
To apply for this job please visit yourfuture.sdbor.edu.