The Animal Science Department at South Dakota State University is offering an exciting career opportunity as a Beef Feedlot Extension Associate. This position is located in Brookings on the SDSU campus. The successful candidate will develop a dynamic Extension program in beef nutrition and feedlot management. Women, veterans, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The incumbent will work in conjunction with the Agriculture and Natural Resources Program Director, field specialists, and other state specialists. The Beef Feedlot Extension Associate will develop a dynamic Extension program in beef nutrition and feedlot management. The successful candidate will provide educational leadership among current Field Specialists and the growing beef feedlot industry in South Dakota. This individual will provide leadership to generate new on-farm applied research and will transfer this information and technologies to Extension Field Specialists, South Dakota beef backgrounders and feedlot operators. This staff member will work cooperatively with Research Faculty and State Extension Specialists to develop effective, interdisciplinary training and clientele programs. The incumbent will be expected to utilize a variety of delivery techniques including: the iGrow web portal, distance educational technologies, traditional meetings, individual consultations, and intensive short courses. Successful grantsmanship and participation in multifunction, multidisciplinary, and multi-state activities is expected.
- Master’s degree in Animal Science or closely related field with special emphasis on nutrition and management of feedlot cattle completed by date of application.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience with Beef US production systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences to include diverse learning styles.
- Ability to work as a contributing team member.
- Demonstrated use of cutting edge technology in managing and/or delivering educational programs.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to plan, implement, and evaluate educational materials and direct effective programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Extension experience.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing or leading learning communities and teamwork with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated collaboration in developing funding proposals to support new and/or enhanced programming.
- Experience in publishing extension materials and/or peer reviewed journals.
Commensurate with qualifications.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by May 15, 2016.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement; resume; and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 or HR@sdstate.edu if you require assistance with the electronic application process.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
For questions on the position, contact Dr. Cody Wright at Cody.Wright@sdstate.edu or 605-688-5448.
To apply for this job please visit yourfuture.sdbor.edu.