Part-Time Library Assistant
Part-time position with an average of up to 20 hours per week. The position includes mainly afternoon hours with the possibility of evening and weekend hours as requested. Must have dependable work habits with ability to relate to children as well as adults. Under the close supervision of the Circulation Manager, or staff member designated in charge, is responsible for circulation, shelving, and patron assistance. Circulation desk duties include: using automated circulation system – charging out materials, checking in materials, collecting fines, maintaining accurate records, handling reserve and patron requests, and registering patrons; assisting patrons with basic information regarding the use of library facilities and resources; assisting with interlibrary loan procedures by explaining the service and obtaining complete information from requesting patrons.
Other duties include: shelving materials accurately; straightening the collection; shelf reading assigned areas; shifting books on shelves as room necessitates; counting and recording in-house use; assisting patrons with the use of computer and audiovisual resources and equipment; closing the library, removing materials from tables and returning them to shelves; and straightening furniture.
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
- Must be dependable, responsible, and have good interpersonal/oral communication skills.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Must have ability to work a flexible work schedule to include afternoon, evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public with ability to relate to children as well as adults.
- Ability to alphabetize and put materials into numerical order including decimals.
- Keyboarding skills.
- Physical abilities that include bending, reaching, and carrying.
- Ability to frequently stand and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to occasionally walk; sit; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Requires specific vision abilities to include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Must have ability to regularly lift, push, pull and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
To apply: Visit www.cityofbrookings.org for a listing of open positions and completion of on-line application. AA/EOE
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.