The Wellness Center at SDSU is seeking a passionate individual to serve as our Outdoor Program Coordinator. This is a full time, 12-month position reporting to the Assistant Director of the Wellness Center.
The Outdoor Program Coordinator will create and administer a comprehensive outdoor trip, equipment rental center, and climbing wall program within the Wellness Center. The Outdoor programming will focus on student learning, leadership development, teambuilding, and experiential education. Duties include: creating and administering programs; hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of student employees; risk management and safety; and serving as a liaison with other departments on campus.
- Master’s degree in Recreation Administration, Outdoor Education, Physical Education, or a related field completed prior to beginning employment.
- Minimum of one year experience in leading outdoor trips.
- Demonstrated ability in a variety of outdoor activities, including but not limited to: biking, camping, hiking, paddling, backpacking, rock climbing, and others.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Demonstrated experience supervising college students.
- First Aid and CPR certified.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Effective verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel; valid driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire.
- First Aid and CPR Instructor certified or able to obtain certification within 30 days of hire.
- Wilderness First Responder certified or able to obtain certification within 30 days of hire.
- Effective administrative/budget skills.
- Experience managing an equipment rental center.
- Experience managing an indoor climbing wall and route setting.
- Demonstrated involvement in a professional organization such as NIRSA, AORE, CWA, ACCT, AEE, WEA, or NOLS preferred.
$35,494 – $38,000 – commensurate with education, experience, and internal equity.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by
April 14, 2016.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement; resume; and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 or HR@sdstate.edu if you require assistance with this process.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
For questions on the position, contact Shari Landmark at Shari.firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 688-5386.
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdstate.edu. SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other protected class in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Administration 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.
To apply for this job please visit yourfuture.sdbor.edu.