SDSU Housing and Residential Life is offering an exciting career opportunity as a Residence Hall Director. We are looking for a creative and motivated individual to join our team in Brookings, SD. This is a 10 month, full-time, live-in position. SDSU actively seeks to increase social and intellectual diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The Residence Hall Director develops and administers a comprehensive hall program meeting the goals of the Department of Housing & Residential Life, Division of Student Affairs, and South Dakota State University. The Residence Hall Director provides leadership and direction to all students and staff living in the assigned residence hall. Additionally, they are responsible for student staff supervision, training, and development; Hall Government advising; assist in following up with academic deficiencies and early alerts; manage in-hall student conduct, outreach, and counseling of residents and problem-solving within the hall. Reporting directly to an Area Coordinator, the Residence Hall Director is an essential member of the leadership team of the Department of Housing & Residential Life. The Residence Hall Director is also involved in departmental and university committees or special projects.
Housing and Residential Life holds a position at the forefront of the University’s progress and growth, making it integral to advancing the University’s retention and graduation goals. With over 4,000 students living on campus, the opening of several new residence halls over the past three years, and the implementation of a housing master plan, SDSU is poised to fulfill its mission of provid(ing) a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education; creative activities; and research, innovation, and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world.
• Bachelor’s degree by date of application;
• Minimum of one (1) year Residence Life or Student Affairs experience;
• Effective written and verbal communication skills;
• Effective interpersonal skills.
• Strong leadership skills;
• Experience in building community in a college or university residential setting;
• Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to motivate staff members and problem-solve within a student-centered developmental model;
• Experience as a student staff member for a Housing & Residential Life program during undergraduate program or residence life experience after graduation;
• Graduate degree in Student Personnel Administration, Guidance and Counseling, or related field;
• Experience with crisis/emergency response;
• Experience with budget/payroll;
• Experience with programming;
• Student Staff Supervision experience;
• Additional related experience.
Commensurate with education, experience, and internal equity.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by June 8, 2016.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement; CV or resume; and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
For questions on the position, contact Andy Kandell at (605) 688-5148 or Andrew.Kandell@sdstate.edu.
To apply for this job please visit yourfuture.sdbor.edu.