Website SGS North America
• Responsible for performing laboratory tests to determine chemical characteristics of agricultural and food products. This is a full time position located in Brookings, SD.
• Reports to the US AGRI Laboratory Director
• Perform lab analysis utilizing prescribed SOPs and official analysis methods.
• Perform routine quality control to insure quality of work.
• Prepare chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
• Set up, adjust, maintain and operate laboratory equipment.
• Record test results utilizing prescribed data reporting methodology.
• Calibrate laboratory instruments to specified technical requirements.
• Troubleshoot in analysis and equipment when quality does not meet specifications.
• Ensure laboratory area and equipment is cleaned and organized.
• Insure quality and confidentiality of client and company information and take an active role in updating Quality System.
• Maintain quality protocols for testing area and implement preventative practices.
• Assist in other areas of the company as needed.
• Promote responsibility, good work habits, a positive work environment and improve customer service.
• At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
• B.S. degree with a concentration in Chemistry, Biology, Food Science or other relevant science area. 2-3 years relevant experience.
• Knowledgeable in data reporting, technical requirements and general market drivers, LIMS and other applications.
• Must be proficient in computer software and use of communication tools.
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
• Excellent analytical skills with the ability to make sound suggestions or recommendations.
• Ability to work independently, often under time-sensitive situations, within a team environment.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels.
• Excellent organization skills which includes the ability to execute several assignments simultaneously.
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
• Demonstrate strong commitment to SGS HSE Policies, Procedures, and Work Instructions by participating in safety meetings, completing required training, intervening in unsafe situations, refusing unsafe work, and complying fully with all applicable laws and regulations related to HSE.
• Respond appropriately to emergency situations and assists other staff members in maintaining readiness to respond to emergencies within the workplace.
• In accordance with the SGS HSE Management System requirements, dispose of, or direct the disposal of waste generated as part of daily work performed in a safe manner and in compliance with all waste transportation and disposal regulations and requirements.
• Report all incidents (actual incidents and near misses) in accordance with the SGS Incident Reporting requirements.
• Use all equipment (including safety equipment) in the manner intended and report any damaged/lost equipment to supervisor.
• Maintain a safe and tidy worksite.
• Maintain awareness of hazards and propose controls to supervisor, HSE Representatives or relevant client/site contact.
• Actively participates in incident investigations and risk assessments as deemed necessary by SGS management.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.sgs.com.